RELEASE THE KRRBRRR!!
What: The Original, the brrrffiest, the Knik River Break-Up Ramble Run, the one and only, it’s The Krrbrrr! Back again in 2021 for a muddy good time.
- $45 on ultrasignup.com on or before March 20 (t-shirt guaranteed); $55 March 21 thru April 7 on ultrasignup; $60 day of race (cash or check only)
- Fees go to cover permit and insurance fees and t-shirts. Proceeds go to THE YAK youth center in Palmer!
- BYO food and drink (or a snack to share); minimal aid provided.
- Spend an hour or a day–or anything in between–trail running with your closest running friends and nemeses; very low key.
- Distance options: Approx. 5 mile loops; run as many loops as you please, until you can’t feel your limbs, or until you can’t give any more blood.
- Course has variety of flat, steep, rolling, wide, double-wide, and single-track trails.
- Slush, slop, mud, ice, poop (horse variety), thorns, blood, views, guaranteed.
- Family friendly: There is an alternate 2.5-3 mile loop (the “Excite Bike Trail”) that is less Krrbrrry (i.e., The Krrbrrr minus the elements highlighted in the above bullet point).
When: Saturday, April 10, 2021; 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. (8 hour time limit)
Where: Parking/Start/Finish at the Knik River Public Use Area parking lot off of Sullivan Rd in the Butte (17704 Sullivan Avenue, Palmer, AK), off of the Old Glenn Highway (the large Jim Creek Trailhead parking lot next door to the brand new Mat-Su Borough Parks and Rec building).
Additional Associated Costs:
- Must have Mat-Su Borough parking pass or bring $5 for parking (we are required to enforce per our Mat-Su event permit)
- Quarters for post-race shower (if desired) at Butte Wash Tub
- Jenny’s Coffee, the Green Store, and the Git n’ Go are all just a few miles away if you want to take a coffee/snack break during the race.
- Shawn (cell: 425-766-7446) email@example.com
- Tony (cell: 253-880-2870) firstname.lastname@example.org
- T-shirt guaranteed (if you sign up on or before March 20)
- Satisfaction of a job well done (Type 2 Fun).
- Hang out with other runners during and after the race.
- Awesome view of Knik Glacier about half-way through each loop.
- Door prizes/giveaways.
Other Details and Rules:
- RECOMMMENDED GEAR. Kahtoolas, maybe. Trekking poles, good idea (not so much for the hills, but to tripod yourself around water hazards). Extra shoes & socks, for sure. Neos if you have ’em (flotation and waders in one). Gardening gloves for bushwhacking–an absolute must. Those old shinguards lying around in the closet? Maybe.
- Exact mileage to be announced prior to race start. (See course map for general idea of course.)
- If doing 20 or more miles, must start last loop before 4:15 p.m. (subject to change at any time at our discretion.)
- “Sweep” will go behind/with the last racer(s).
- There will be an aid station at the start/finish for water and some food. You will be able to use your own car as your aid station (you’ll run right through the parking area after each loop).
- Bring your camp chair; there was more sitting around than running in 2018 and 2019.
- Be ready for ice and slush and mud and poop (horse variety) and cold, wet feet!
- Our insurance does not allow dogs this year. NO DOGS ON THE COURSE.
- There are horses, 4-wheelers, wildlife, and other users on the trails. (This isn’t just our rule, we are required to enforce per our Mat-Su event permit.)
- You can drive down the road during/after the race to pick up food/drink at either the “Green Store” or the “Git ‘N Go” or Jenny’s Coffee (all within a few miles driving distance on the Old Glenn Highway).
- Also just a few miles away on the Old Glenn Highway: Butte Wash Tub washeteria (bring your quarters for shower tokens; and don’t forget a towel and your shower flip-flops)
- There is cell phone coverage on the course.
Thank you to our Sponsors!
Race proceeds benefit The YAK! Thank you to The YAK for agreeing to be associated with this group of crazy runners. And many thanks to our race sponsors for their prize donations and support!