What: Inaugural Knik River Break-Up Ramble Run (“The Krrbrrr”)
- $15 Day of Race; BYO food and drink; some/minimal aid provided.
- Spend an hour or a day–or anything in between–trail running with your closest running friends and nemeses; very low key.
- Distance options: 5 mi, 10 mi, 15 mi, 20 mi, Marathon, or 50K solo or 50K relay.
- Course has variety of flat, steep, rolling, wide, double-wide, and single-track trails.
- Slush, slop, mud, ice, poop (horse variety), thorns, blood, views, guaranteed.
- Kahtoolas, maybe. Trekking poles, good idea. Extra shoes & socks, for sure.
- Edited to add: Neos (flotation and waders in one); gardening gloves for bushwhacking.
When: Saturday, April 14, 2018; 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. (8 hour time limit)
Where: Parking/Start/Finish at the Knik River Public Use Area parking lot off of Sullivan Rd in the Butte (Palmer, AK), off of the Old Glenn Highway (the large Jim Creek Trailhead parking lot next door to the brand new Mat-Su Borough Parks and Rec building).
Additional Associated Costs:
- Must have Mat-Su Borough parking pass or bring $5 for parking (we are required to enforce per our Mat-Su event permit)
- Quarters for post-race shower (if desired) at Butte Wash Tub
- The time it takes you to call, text, or email to sign-up (50 RUNNER LIMIT–PLEASE LET US KNOW IN ADVANCE IF YOU PLAN ON RUNNING)
- BYO food & drink (minimal aid provided)
- Shawn (cell: 425-766-7446) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tony (cell: 253-880-2870) email@example.com
- Satisfaction of a job well done (Type 2 Fun).
- Hang out with other runners during and after the race.
- Awesome view of Knik Glacier about half-way through each loop.
- Prizes and giveaways.
Other Details and Rules:
- Exact mileage to be announced prior to race start. (See course map for general idea of course.)
- If doing 20 or more miles, must start last loop before 4:15 p.m. (subject to change at any time at our discretion.)
- “Sweep” will go behind/with the last racer(s).
- You must check-in at Scary Cabin on each loop… ooooohhhh!
- We may set up a pop-up tent and card table for water and some food. You will be able to use your own car as your aid station (you’ll run right through the parking area after each loop).
- Be ready for ice and slush and mud and poop (horse variety) and cold, wet feet!
- If you bring your dog, dogs must be on leash at all times. There are horses, 4-wheelers, wildlife, and other users on the trails. (This isn’t just our rule, we are required to enforce per our Mat-Su event permit.)
- You can drive down the road during/after the race to pick up food/drink at either the “Green Store” or the “Git ‘N Go” or Jenny’s Coffee (all within a few miles driving distance on the Old Glenn Highway).
- Also just a few miles away on the Old Glenn Highway: Butte Wash Tub washeteria (bring your quarters for shower tokens; and don’t forget a towel and your shower flip-flops):
- There is cell phone coverage on the course.